Thursday 13 August 2015

Opus IX by Amouage


This week we have been wearing a unisex perfume - Opus IX by Amouage - and filling the office with animal scents (our aroma of the week is ambergris).

First word impressions when wearing Opus IX have ranged from good, guttural, strong and stinky...and as the week has worn on and the perfume has become more familiar we have all learnt to adore this deep, complex, beautiful bottle of wonder.

The inspiration for the perfume came from Verdi's La Traviata opera which features camellia flowers. Bizarrely camellias do not have a scent so the perfume design team were able to exploit their creativity and imagination prowess to blend their own personal interpretation of a camellia.

The perfume contains big bold aromas of jasmine, black pepper, leather, guaiac wood, beeswax, vetiver, ambergris and civet so you can tell before even getting near the bottle that the perfume is going to be dark, intense and daring.  And it is, it so is.

It is loud and distinct, it is smoky, byzantine and slightly weird.  Weird in that I think I understand the perfume and have fallen in love with it, but then I smell my wrist and recoil slightly wondering if I like it at all.  That's civet for you!  Actually, I love the perfume, love the intense animal edge and love the leather smokiness.

And my goodness, it has staying power.  This one stays apparent until washed off.  I'm very happy with that.






No comments: