Thursday 27 August 2015

Invictus by Paco Rabanne




It's not often that we pick a perfume that smells as synthetic as Invictus, but this one definitely ticks that box.  Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there is anything wrong with synthetic when it comes to perfumes (think fragrance oils and aroma chemicals) but I don't want the overall aroma to appear synthetic - and Invictus has a slightly sticky sweet after-aroma that I'm not sure about.

The opening is fresh and lively with a quick fire treat of mandarin and grapefruit.  The marine/ocean/outdoorsy/salty sea dog aroma (our smell of the week) then takes over and gives the scent its manly, energetic, care-free, happy-go-lucky handsome, muscly man appeal.

There is a herbaceous note teasing my nostrils (bay) and a little green woodiness courtesy of the oakmoss, patchouli and guiaic wood.  Ambergris is in here but I can't pick that up at all... plus there is jasmine and hedione nestling away hiding between the layers of saltiness.

Overall I'd be happy if my man was to wear this and I'd certainly sit up straight and interested if handsome man turned up at a meeting with it splashed liberally around his neck.

Back to the slight sweet syntheticness....the more I smell, the more it appeals to me.  How fickle am I?!  I have gone from wrinkled up nose and a slight disdain to 'actually this is good'.

Ah well, it's our prerogative to change our mind!

No comments: