Thursday 3 December 2015

No. 10 White Oud by Agonist


When I saw that this week's perfume was No. 10 White Oud coupled with the fact that I know it contains violet (our aroma of the week) I braced myself.  I'm never convinced that violet perfumes like me and I have a confused love/hate relationship with oud.

Spray, wait, sniff...I have to report that I'm quietly surprised by the first encounter. It is unpredictably dainty, no heavy farmyard-style oud scent (yet) and the violet is palatable and pleasant.

The perfume is light which wasn't what I expected given the oud in the title.  It is pretty (ditto) and smells more floral than the dirty and pungent I thought I would get.  Ylang ylang climbs to the top of the perfume joining forces with rose, lily of the valley and iris making their pretty floral existence noticeable from the first drop.

In fact the whole perfume is confusing.  If I took the word oud out of the title I might embrace this perfume a little more, instead I'm waiting for the oud-that-never-comes.    The perfume is too clean to be oud-ish, it is too pretty and graceful with a hint of sweetness.  Where is the filthy-dirty-stinky-gorgeous oud that I was waiting for?

So there is no oud, but there is an oud accord cleverly crafted using notes of leather, suede, cypriol and an amber note.  I'm not sure how convinced I am that this blend has created an oud accord. Throw in tonka, patchouli and a little musk and the perfume is delightful, but oud it isn't.

It reminds me a little of clean freshly laundered clothing that has a baby-powder gentleness to it.




No comments: