Thursday 28 May 2015

Last week I wore


A quick snapshot of the perfumes I wore last week...

Monday 18th May - Today I am wearing Jack - it is a refreshingly green citrus with a spicy edge. It has oud in it, but the oud isn't apparent - whilst I love oud, I am a bit 'oud'd' out at the moment since so many recent perfumes have jumped on the bandwagon and include it.
Jack is lime and mandarin with notes of cannabis (caryophylene?), nutmeg, clove, pepper, tobacco,vetiver and frankincense.
The base notes have anchored the citrus well and 3 hours in I can still enjoy the scent perfectly well.
PF Perfume Club Subscription members - you'll be able to enjoy this one soon too, promise!

Tuesday 19th May - Today I am wearing Crystal Noir by Versace.
It’s one I’ve been wanting to try for a while (so many perfumes, not enough skin!) partly because of its eclectic range of ingredients and partly because it has been created using headspace (living flower) technology meaning that the individual aromas will smell just like those used as part of the headspace technology (I have attached a link to a hugely interesting article on headspace technology. It’s a fascinating read).http://curiositychronicles.tumblr.com/…/curious-about-heads…
Why do I say eclectic? Well just have a peep at this list – we have florals of gardenia, neroli and peony. Then a creamy note of coconut, spicy notes of pepper, ginger and cardamom, backed up with woody sandalwood and soft musk and sweet amber. My olfactory senses just couldn’t get to grips with imagining this blend’s aroma so I knew I had to try it.
Whilst it isn’t a mind-blowing-must-rush-out-and-get-a–bigger-bottle-love-at-first-sniff type aroma, it is perfectly wearable in a safe, soapy, recognisable sort of way. There’s a slight alcoholic-cocktail with a J2O chaser edge that morphs into a spicy winter warmth. As much as the headspace technology is a unique selling point, I have to admit that the flowers really don’t get a look in. There’s no doubting that they line the perfume’s middle giving it a pretty transition from top to bottom, but at no point do I feel I’m in a garden or in a flower shop. Nope, not at all. If I’m anywhere, I’m at a market stall enjoying the choices of soap….beautiful soap.

Wednesday 20th May - Today I am wearing Endymion by Penhaligan. It is a man's scent, but I have a sample so thought I'd wear it today regardless of its gender as its description intrigued me ....
The description states that it is a study in contrasts: spicy and fresh, strong and deep. That's enough to make anyone want to try it to see if it's true!
We have spices of black pepper, nutmeg and cardamon and herbaceous aromas of sages and lavender. Add a layer of resinous frankincense and myrrh, top it with citrus mandarin and bergamot. Into the melting pot you can fling gourmand coffee, with darker notes of leather and vetiver. Add a pinch of geranium to freshen, sandalwood and musk to softly round it off and voila! We have Endymion.
Well apart from it smelling like a very dapper gentleman should smell, I guess it is a bit of a mish-mash for my olfactory senses to enjoy. An assault course for the nose.
And yet, when it settles down it smells like a million other aftershaves. All that hard work, choosing, stirring, mixing....and it ends up pretty similar to bog standard run-of-the-mill aftershave.

Thursday - See separate blog posting for our comments on M Moi by Mauboussin which the PF Team tested.

Saturday 23rd May - Today I am wearing Eau D’Italie. It’s another scent designed for a man.
Designed by Bertrand Dechaufour, Eau d’Italie is another perfume that attempts to capture the aroma of the Italian Amalfi cost and bring it to your wrists.
I can detect salty sea dog, oranges, bergamot and blackcurrant. here are a few spices and a little frankincense in here too and a few flowers but the overall aroma is one of Italian concrete.
It’s fresh and inviting, but once your nose picks up soil, clay and stone walls, it’s fairly difficult to move beyond. It isn’t unpleasant, I rather like it. It’s clever – definitely orange groves, sunny beach, window boxes and the mossy walls of sun-baked Italian villas.
According to my son (who is also wearing it) that sums it up really well.
The only thing missing is pizza.
http://eauditalie.com/en/fragrance_eauditalie.php

Sunday 24th May - Today I am wearing Guerlain’s Le Plus Beau Jour De Ma Vie (the best day of my life).
I imagine it is designed for a bride, it is a beautiful , beautiful blend of everything pretty for the bride to be.
Citrus, pink pepper, candied angelica and almond, blossom, flowers, musk, vanilla and patchouli. The overall effect is a delicate blend of flowers and honey.
Launched only this year it may not have hit the wedding circuit yet, but as I immerse myself in the aroma I feel I should be wearing a big floaty white (ok, cream!) dress. The perfume certainly doesn’t fit my outfit of jeans, boots, t-shirt and cardigan. I feel very overdressed and clumpy.




No comments: